What qualities constitute 'good' music???

Release | Heroic Posting Rampage

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:
ID: SmellyWontonNoodles
IP: Logged

1,245 posts
"Ornate chandeliers suspended from a vaulted ceiling lit the spacious chamber; Jack tilted his gaze overhead and noticed how far away they were.  His thoughts wove around those bright lights, like a dance of ether masses spiraling in precious unison. Why must we try to clutch desperately for the mere threads of this world when we can clasp onto a tapestry of untold magnificence beyond this plane of existence?"
likewise, what qualities does 'bad' music lack or express poorly?

IMO, I think labeling any composition as good or bad isn't doing anyone any good. However, I do believe some compositions are inferior/superior in quality to other compositions. Does this extend into comparisons between different genres of music? What's your opinion? <.<

challengerX
| custom title

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:
ID: challengerX

41,949 posts
I DONT GIVE A SINGLE -blam!- MOTHER -blam!-ER ITS A MOTHER -blam!-ING FORUM, OH WOW, YOU HAVE THE WORD NINJA BELOW YOUR NAME, HOW MOTHER -blam!-ING COOL, NOT, YOUR ARE NOTHING TO ME BUT A BRAINWASHED PIECE OF SHIT BLOGGER, PEOPLE ONLY LIKE YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE NINJA BELOW YOUR NAME, SO PLEASE PUNCH YOURAELF IN THE FACE AND STAB YOUR EYE BECAUSE YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A PIECE OF SHIT OF SOCIETY
This user has been blacklisted from posting on the forums. Until the blacklist is lifted, all posts made by this user have been hidden and require a Sep7agon® SecondClass Premium Membership to view.

Verbatim
| Komm, süßer Tod

more |
XBL:
PSN: Verbatim-1
Steam: Jaco230
ID: Verbatim

48,034 posts
I ask questions like this all the time, and I don't think there is an answer.

What makes sad music sad?
Why makes upbeat music sound happy?

And it's a universal language, too. You listen to a horror movie soundtrack, no matter who you are, you can tell that the music is designed to elicit fear.

It's astounding.

More Than Mortal
| d-d-d-DANK ✡ 🔥🔥🔥 🌈

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam: MetaCognition
ID: Meta Cognition

15,062 posts
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
A melody is a good start.

R o c k e t | Mythic Smash Master

more |
XBL: Rocketman287
PSN:
Steam: Rocketman287
ID: Rocketman287

22,974 posts
I neither fear, nor despise.
It has unity in what it's trying to communicate.
The message sonically and lyrically go together, they compliment each other.
Some organization, structure, is needed too. Otherwise the song will just be all over the place.

And for goodness sake, make the lyrics less cringeworthy!

Also OP, do you want this thread to be moved to Serious, or remain in The Flood?
Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:02:26 PM by Rocketman287

challengerX
| custom title

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:
ID: challengerX

41,949 posts
I DONT GIVE A SINGLE -blam!- MOTHER -blam!-ER ITS A MOTHER -blam!-ING FORUM, OH WOW, YOU HAVE THE WORD NINJA BELOW YOUR NAME, HOW MOTHER -blam!-ING COOL, NOT, YOUR ARE NOTHING TO ME BUT A BRAINWASHED PIECE OF SHIT BLOGGER, PEOPLE ONLY LIKE YOU BECAUSE YOU HAVE NINJA BELOW YOUR NAME, SO PLEASE PUNCH YOURAELF IN THE FACE AND STAB YOUR EYE BECAUSE YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A PIECE OF SHIT OF SOCIETY
This user has been blacklisted from posting on the forums. Until the blacklist is lifted, all posts made by this user have been hidden and require a Sep7agon® SecondClass Premium Membership to view.

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:

1,245 posts
"Ornate chandeliers suspended from a vaulted ceiling lit the spacious chamber; Jack tilted his gaze overhead and noticed how far away they were.  His thoughts wove around those bright lights, like a dance of ether masses spiraling in precious unison. Why must we try to clutch desperately for the mere threads of this world when we can clasp onto a tapestry of untold magnificence beyond this plane of existence?"
-It can't be made by OP.

actually, now that you mention it, if I got back into exploring Ableton, who knows what bizarre things I could create..

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:

1,245 posts

Also OP, do you want this thread to be moved to Serious, or remain in The Flood?

uhm yup pls move to serious thanks

rC | Mythic Inconceivable!

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:
ID: RC5908

10,792 posts
ayy lmao
-unpopular
-obscure
-whiny voice
-quintuple entendre
-minimalist

BaconShelf | Mythic Inconceivable!

more |
XBL: BaconShelf
PSN:
Steam: BaconShelf
ID: BaconShelf

10,737 posts

For me? Made by real people playing real instruments and actually using their voice, rather than automatically generated auto tuned shit.

rC | Mythic Inconceivable!

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:
ID: RC5908

10,792 posts
ayy lmao
For me? Made by real people playing real instruments and actually using their voice, rather than automatically generated auto tuned shit.
someone's never used autotune

Verbatim
| Komm, süßer Tod

more |
XBL:

48,034 posts
I'll never understand the "real instruments" thing.

More Than Mortal
| d-d-d-DANK ✡ 🔥🔥🔥 🌈

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam: MetaCognition
ID: Meta Cognition

15,062 posts
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.
This should've stayed in the Flood.

more |
PSN:

22,974 posts

I would say "Pitch-Correction" instead of Auto-Tune. Programs like Melodyne can make an average sounding group of people sound like a professional choir. That's why on these albums people never miss a pitch, yet live they can't keep one.

more |
PSN:

22,974 posts
This should've stayed in the Flood.

The OP wanted it moved here

Dopameme | Mythic Inconceivable!

more |
XBL: I JackItTo HALO
PSN:
Steam:
ID: Officer Nasty

7,807 posts
Your love gets me so high
Music is so subjective that there's really no point in discussing it

Verbatim
| Komm, süßer Tod

more |
XBL:

48,034 posts
Well, that's just silly. The more subjective something is, the more worthy of discussion it is. If someone likes Justin Bieber, like... legitimately? I wanna know why. I want to get into that person's head.

more |
PSN:

22,974 posts
Well, that's just silly. The more subjective something is, the more worthy of discussion it is. If someone likes Justin Bieber, like... legitimately? I wanna know why. I want to get into that person's head.

They are teenage girls. So it will be about the singer's appearance as well as the music.

Verbatim
| Komm, süßer Tod

more |
XBL:

48,034 posts
I didn't know you were a teenage girl.

It was a rhetorical question, sir. Point is, just because something is subjective... that's all the MORE reason to discuss it.

Dopameme | Mythic Inconceivable!

more |
XBL: I JackItTo HALO
PSN:
Steam:
ID: Officer Nasty

7,807 posts
Your love gets me so high

But the OP is asking what makes music 'good.' I don't know, whenever I get into conversations like that they usually don't end well. Clashing opinions come into play.

Mad Max | Mythic Invincible!

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam: madmax0808
ID: Mad Max

7,528 posts

Keys and chord progressions, mostly.

The 1-3-5 of a major chord is satisfying because of the lack of dissonance, thus happy.
The mild dissonance created when you use a minor chord is what creates the sad, unpleasant, or angry feelings.

Verbatim
| Komm, süßer Tod

more |
XBL:

48,034 posts
The 1-3-5 of a major chord is satisfying because of the lack of dissonance, thus happy.
The mild dissonance created when you use a minor chord is what creates the sad, unpleasant, or angry feelings.
...But why? You're giving me the "how", but not the "why".

more |
XBL:
PSN:

7,528 posts

Because there's some combinations of sounds that the human ear finds pleasing. I'm sure there is some deeper explanation, but that isn't something I studied.

Verbatim
| Komm, süßer Tod

more |
XBL:

48,034 posts
Because there's some combinations of sounds that the human ear finds pleasing. I'm sure there is some deeper explanation, but that isn't something I studied.
Yeah, and I'm asking why we find them pleasing. I don't think there IS an answer for that, really.

more |
PSN:

22,974 posts

That's where "Music therapy" comes from. They specialize in making tones and melodies that soothe people. Some people meditate to it, stuff like that.

A friend of mine in the Music Production Program is going into that field. Take a look into it if you're intrigued. Interesting stuff.

A good way to view it is: the whole world, everything is giving off a frequency. We're all making music in some way. Some clash and some don't. Some soothe and some cause dissonance.
Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:22:31 PM by Rocketman287

more |
XBL:
PSN:

7,528 posts

Yeah, and I'm asking why we find them pleasing. I don't think there IS an answer for that, really.
I'm sure a lot of it is culturally based, too.

Eastern music, historically speaking, sounds weird to us because of the intervals and scales they use. Just imagine the stereotypical Indian sitar music you hear in movies/tv shows. It sounds odd to use because we're used to [or conditioned, perhaps?] hearing the intervals and scales of western music.

Mr. Psychologist
| Imperial Forum Ninja

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:
ID: Mr Psychologist

17,225 posts
<.<

I think there is, but not one that I know. Hell we might not actually know yet (as a species that is) but I would wager it is to do with certain wavelengths of sound registering with different parts of the brain's circuitry.

I don't really study music psychology/neurology at all, but I do recall reading something about the sound frequency around 17Hz that causes feelings of fear to appear. Now I think that this is to do with an evolutionary adaptation to the sounds predators make but that could be wrong >.>
So it stands to reason that if you have a frequency that causes fear, there are frequencies that can induce other emotions too <.<

aREALgod | Legendary Invincible!

more |
XBL:
PSN:
Steam:
ID: aTALLmidget

5,169 posts

Minor chords.

Major chords.

And the mix of them and chord progressions.

Jim | Mythic Inconceivable!

more |
XBL: AltarsofRadness
PSN: spirit_of_sand
Steam: Kurt Russel
ID: LancexLink

13,153 posts

Jim | Mythic Inconceivable!

more |
XBL: AltarsofRadness
PSN: spirit_of_sand
Steam: Kurt Russel
ID: LancexLink

13,153 posts