What the hell is "down air to shine"?
Teach me, master.
let me just run-down what the community calls all the attacksJabs
- Pressing A however many times in place to get your jab combo. Falco's is really bad (all rapid jabs are in Melee). Officially, they're called "standard attacks" or "weak attacks."Dash attacks
- Self-explanatory. Try not to do these too often.Tilts
- F-tilt (forward tilt), U-tilt (up tilt), or D-tilt (down tilt). Tilting the stick in one direction gently and pressing A. Some F-tilts can be angled to suit your position, if you tilt the stick at a slight angle. Officially, they're called "strong attacks."Smash attacks
- F-smash, up smash, and down smash. Some F-smashes can be angled, like f-tilts. They're pretty self-explanatory, but don't you sleep on the down smash. Very underrated move in Smash.Aerial attacks
- Nair, Fair, Bair, Uair, and Dair. Neutral, forward, backward, upward, and downward. Falco's most important tools are his aerials (he's a bird, after all). His down air (dair) is the undisputed best move in the game, because it allows you to spike
your opponent downwards at very low percents.Special moves:Laser
- Falco's neutral special. Officially called the Blaster. It's the same as Fox's, except with a lower rate of fire, and it actually flinches your opponents.Falco Phantasm
- Falco's side special, usually just shortened to Phantasm. Fox's is pretty much the same, except Falco's is faster, but covers less distance. While best used for recovery, it can cause a meteor smash
if you manage to catch someone in midair with it.Fire Bird
- Falco's up special, and primary recovery move (or the move you use to get back on the stage). Works just like Fox's, but covers much less distance, and actually has KO power.Shine
- Falco's down special. While it's supposed
to reflect projectiles, it works better as an offensive tool and combo starter. It activates in one frame, making it the fastest move in the game, and after you activate it, you can jump straight out of it and follow up with any number of mixups. It's a particularly advanced technique, though, so I wouldn't even really worry about it. As I mentioned earlier, it's actually called the Reflector.
Falco, as I'm sure you've noticed, has the highest jumps in the game, which allow him to do some pretty nasty shit in midair. If you mash B while doing his side special, it's possible to shorten his Falco Phantasm, which can be used as a feint.
But yeah, in general, dair whenever you can. Since it spikes your opponent at such a weird angle, you don't even need to be near the edge to spike them. It's fucking nuts.